This is a delicious, quick and easy recipe and it’s super healthy too. It’s a firm favorite in my family, even Ava, who is super fussy loves Cauli “Mac & Cheese” and really, there’s something wrong with anyone who doesn’t love it because it’s super tasty.
Here is the back bone of the recipe, but you can zoosh yours up pretty much anyway you like, you simply cannot mess up this recipe from The Real Meal Revolution’s Raising Superheroes, if you haven’t bought this book yet, you really have to!
Cauli "Mac & Cheese"
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 Large heads of cauliflower cut into small florets (about 700g's)
- 500 ml heavy cream I use double cream
- 125 ml full fat cream cheese I use 250g of cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 cups grated cheese I used a blend of cheddar & Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 250 g's bacon recipe says back bacon, but I prefer streaky bacon for the fat
- 250 g's of rosa tomatoes you can use any small tomato
- Lightly steam your cauliflower florets, because I have small children, I find it best to break the florets into small pieces so no one actually notices that they're eating cauliflower.
- Pour your cream into a pot and slowly warm through, once it starts boiling, reduce the heat and add your cream cheese, mustard, and 2 cups of grated cheese, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a little butter and fry up your bacon until crispy. Be sure to keep the bacon fat in the pan.
- Once the bacon is cooked, set aside and fry up your tomatoes in the residual bacon fat. At this point you can zoosh up your recipe, I've added spinach, mushrooms or pretty much any veggie you like.
- Place your steamed cauliflower in a greased oven proof dish, and then toss in the tomatoes and other veggies as well as your chopped up, cooked bacon, give it all a good stir through and season with salt & pepper.
- Pour over your cheese/cream sauce.
- Cover in the remainder of the grated cheese
- Pop in the oven for about 20 minutes or until your cheese is all melted and golden brown.