I watched Fed Up this weekend and there were a couple of key points that really stood out for me in this documentary, but first, watch the trailer:
[embedplusvideo height=”425″ width=”645″ editlink=”http://bit.ly/1EUKg2a” standard=”http://www.youtube.com/v/aCUbvOwwfWM?fs=1″ vars=”ytid=aCUbvOwwfWM&width=645&height=425&start=&stop=&rs=w&hd=0&autoplay=0&react=1&chapters=¬es=” id=”ep5622″ /]
Everything we’ve been told about food and exercise for the past 30 years is dead wrong. FED UP is the film the food industry doesn’t want you to see. From Katie Couric, Laurie David (Oscar winning producer of AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH) and director Stephanie Soechtig, FED UP will change the way you eat forever.
Since I started banting last year, and really following the philosophy of eating clean (a term I see so many people bandy around when I think they have no understanding what eating clean is) and jerf (just eat real food) I’ve become so much more aware of how we’ve been mislead by big industry, especially the food industry and all the players involved. I never considered myself a conspiracy theorist but I am really starting to believe that the real food debate is one of the biggest lies we’ve been told and that we’ve been following the incorrect dietary advice for decades, that sugar is the tobacco of the 21st century.
Just some of the shocking things I took away from this documentary are:
- The effects of sugar on the brain, in comparison to coccaine and how by the time a child is 3/4 years old, their diet has already established those neurological pathways and responses. I can see this so clearly, especially with Ava. She is only 5 but so addicted to sugar and it is a HUGE concern for me. Because right now, we’re setting the groundwork for her healthy body as an adult and I don’t want her to have diabetes or any of the other metabolic related diseases.
- The modern diet and how it has brought about the tofi phenomenon – thin on the outside, fat on the inside and how this internal belly fat, even on outwardly slim individuals can bring about metabolic diseases like diabetes, blood pressure etc.
- Sugar! Oh my… sugar has been so cleverly marketed to us! Did you know, sugar has FIFTY SIX different names that can be used on food labels, so you think you’re making a sugar-free or healthy choice, but in reality you’re just being fooled by clever labeling!
- This fact I did know, but it bares mentioning again because I think so many people are not aware of it and it is health changing….. The movie reminds us that low fat products are unpallatable without the added SUGAR! Again, read your labels on your low fat products and see how many of the 56 different names for sugar you can identity on the low fat label.
- They also mention something which Prof Time Noakes taught me about – artificial sweeteners…. they still have an impact on your insulin. Your taste buds tastes sweet and immediately start sending messages that sugar is incoming and your body starts creating insulin, even when there is no sugar incoming and this wrecks havoc on metabolism and on metabolic diseases.
Here are some of the other shocking facts shared in the film:
Image credit – http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/about-the-issue?scrollTo=facts
I would really encourage everyone to watch this movie, and to research jerf and eating clean and start making better choices, for the sake of your health, it’s quite an eye opener.